Raphaël Lessard: Driver, No. 4 SiriusXM | Canac Toyota
Early-Race Accident Relegates Lessard to 37th-Place Finish at Pocono
- Date: June 28, 2020
- Event: Organics 150 to Benefit Farm Aid (Race 6 of 23)
- Series: Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series
- Location: (Pa.) Raceway (2.5-mile tri-oval)
- Format: Stages; 15 laps/15 laps/30 laps
- Start/Finish: /37th (Accident, completed 5 of 60 laps)
- Winner: Jones of Kyle Busch Motorsports (Toyota)
Raphaël Lessard was relegated to a 37th-place finish in the Pocono Organics 150 to Benefit Farm Aid at Pocono (Pa.) Raceway after being involved in an incident on Lap 5. The No. 4 SiriusXM | Canac Tundra started the race in the 14th position.
Stage One Recap:
- Raphaël Lessard started in the 14th position after a random draw in tiers based on the 2020 Gander Truck Series owner points. In the opening four laps, the Canadian driver was told to save as much fuel as possible. In the first caution of the day on Lap 1, Raphaël Lessard worked his way up to the 13th position. When the race resumed on Lap 5, Raphael Lessard and the SiriusXM | Canac Tundra made it to Turn 3 before clipping the grass, which sent the truck to the outside SAFER barrier.
- The SiriusXM | CanacTundra would be relegated to a 37th place finish.
Raphaël Lessard, driver of the No. 4 SiriusXM | Canac Tundra for Kyle Busch Motorsports:
After your best finish of the season at the last race, this one ends early. What did you see?
“Well, I tried to go on the inside of the 24 (Chase Purdy). He was kind of slow and just, he kind of plugged me a little bit and then I just kind of fenced it. I’m not sure what happened. I think I got hooked on the right rear. It is what it is. It’s part of it (replay shown on screen) – oh I hit the grass. That’s what happened. Well, it sucks. You got to learn from it. Just got to thank everyone at Kyle Busch Motorsports, Toyota, SiriusXM and Canac. It’s not what we wanted. We just have to move on and focus on the next one.”
Pocono Organics 150 to Benefit Farm Aid Recap:
- Brandon Jones earned his first career NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series victory. Austin Hill finished second, Sheldon Creed crossed the stripe in third, Todd Gilliland was fourth and Ben Rhodes rounded out the top-five finishers
- The race featured nine cautions for a total of 29 of 60 laps. There were eight lead changes among five drivers. Christian Eckes led once for 10 laps.
How Lessard’s KBM Teammates Fared:
- Brandon Jones, driver of the No. 51 Toyota, finished first.
- Christian Eckes, driver of the No. 18 Toyota, finished 33rd
Gander Trucks Championship Standings:
- After six events, Raphaël Lessard ranks 15th in the Gander Trucks championship standings. The rookie of the year candidate sits 134 tallies behind points leader Austin Hill.
- Raphaël Lessard will be back behind the wheel of the No. 4 Tundra when the NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series resumes action July 11 at Kentucky Speedway. Live coverage of the Buckle Up In Your Truck 225 begins Saturday, July 11 at 6 p.m. ET on FS1, Motor Racing Network, and SiriusXM.
**Press Release prepared by Kyle Busch Motorsports
Photo Credit: Getty Images