Raphael Lessard: Driver, No. 4 Mobil 1 | Canac Toyota
NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series Overview (NGROTS)
Event: Lucas Oil 150, Race 23 of 23, 200 laps – 45/45/60; 150 miles
Location: Phoenix (Ariz.) Raceway in Avondale (one-mile oval)
Date/Broadcast: Nov. 6, 2020, at 8 p.m. ET on RDS, Fox Sports Racing, FS1, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR 90
** RDS and RDS DIRECT will present all races of the NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series 2020 season.
Reminder: To vote for the “Most popular driver of the NGROTS series”: https://www.nascar.com/truckmostpopulardriver
Racing with Raphael Lessard
- Raphael Lessard and the No. 4 Mobil 1 | Canac team head to Phoenix Raceway for the final race of the 2020 season. The talented teenager will make his first career start at the one-mile facility. Last week, Raphael Lessard was in contention to win at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway until a spin and contact from another competitor in the final ten laps relegated the rookie driver to a 20th-place finish.
- The 19-year-old Canadian rookie became just the fifth foreign-born driver earn a NGROTS victory when he narrowly edged former Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne under caution in NASCAR overtime at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway on Oct. 3. Overall, in 2020, Raphael Lessard has 22 starts with one win, 20 laps led, three top-fives, six top-10s, an average starting position of 13.0 and an average finishing position of 15.7.
- The rookie driver has delivered improved finishes in the second half of the season. After posting an average finish of 18.3 and a best result of 11th across the first 10 races of the season, Raphael Lessard has posted an average finish of 13.6 across the last 12 races, including his win and all six of his top-10 finishes.
- While Raphael Lessard may be a newcomer to the NGROTS, crew chief Mike Hillman Jr. has plenty of experience. The veteran crew chief has 322 NGROTS starts under his belt, with 23 wins, 23 poles, 118 top-five and 176 top-10 finishes with drivers including Todd Bodine, Jeb Burton, Kyle Busch and last season, Harrison Burton. At Phoenix, Hillman has 13 starts, six top-fives, nine top-10s, an average starting spot of 10.2 and an average finish of 6.7. He earned one win in 2005 with Todd Bodine.
- The world’s leading synthetic motor oil brand, Mobil 1, features anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond our conventional motor oils. This technology allows Mobil 1 to meet or exceed the toughest standards of car builders and to provide exceptional protection against engine wear, under normal or even some of the most extreme conditions. Mobil 1 flows quickly in extreme temperatures to protect critical engine parts and is designed to maximize engine performance and help extend engine life.
- CANAC is the first independent hardware and building materials store chain to open in Quebec City. Its expertise of over 145 years of experience allows CANAC to perpetuate the spirit of the hardware stores of yesteryear in a modern environment, with qualified personnel trained by its continuing education centre accredited by Emploi-Québec. CANAC serves both individual customers and contractors and offers aggressive prices that defy all competition. Since its acquisition by Groupe Laberge in 1985, the company’s expansion has focused on opening new modern hardware stores and on renovating existing branches to better adapt them to the needs and expectations of consumers. Today, CANAC has 30 branches and employs more than 3,400 part-time and full-time workers.
Raphael Lessard, Driver Q&A
It’s the final race of the season. How would you assess your season?
“It’s the last race of the season at Phoenix. I’ve never been there. I’m excited to go and try it out. We are going to try and end on a good note. Overall, I learned a lot this season. I can’t thank everyone enough at Kyle Busch Motorsports, TRD, Mobil 1, JBL, Canac and everyone that makes it possible. It’s been a crazy year with no practice or qualifying, but we battled through it. We had some challenges. I gained a lot of experience throughout the season. I feel like I am a way better driver than I was at the beginning of the season. I have way more experience, so I am happy with the results we had. Hopefully we can go get a win now!”
As you’ve began studying for this week’s race, how crazy do the restarts look to be with the dogleg right after the start finish line?
“Phoenix looks really unique especially with the dogleg. On the restarts, I feel like it gets crazy. Even during the race, it gets crazy as everyone goes down there trying to cut the racetrack to get the shortest way around. It should be exciting. I’m excited to try it out. Hopefully, we can take the dogleg to our advantage and get more speed out of the truck doing it. I’m excited. I’m just going to go for it again this weekend.”
What’s on top of your list for things to do when season is over?
“There are a lot of things on my list for this offseason that I want to do. Mostly, I feel like it’s going to be going back to Canada and see my family that I haven’t seen all year and spend time with them. I would say I am sad that the season is over already because I wanted to race more and more and race everyday if I could. It’s been a good season. We are going to finish it on a high note and go have a good time with my family.”
Raphael Lessard Career Highlights:
- Across 27 career NGROTS starts has produced one win, three top-fives, eight top-10 finishes and an average finish of 14.9.
- In 2019, Raphael Lessard posted 83 laps led, two top-five and three top-10 finishes across three ARCA Menards Series starts and one win, one top-five and two top-10 finishes in the NASCAR Pinty’s Series. His Pinty’s Series victory came at his hometown track, Autodrome Chaudiere in Vallee-Jonction, Quebec, on June 29 when he led a race-high 153 laps en route to the sentimental win.
- Won two marquee events driving KBM’s famed No. 51 Super Late Model in 2018: the Short Track U.S. Nationals at Bristol
- Motor Speedway in May and the Red Bud 400 ARCA/CRA Super Series race at Anderson Speedway in July.
- Overall in 16 starts for KBM in 2018 split across the CARS Super Late Model Tour, the Southern Super Series and the ARCA/CRA Super Series, posted two wins, three poles, seven top-five and 10 top-10 finishes in 2018.Started seventh and led 68 laps in the prestigious Snowball Derby at 5 Flags Speedway in Pensacola, Fla.
- Captured the 2016 CARS Super Late Model Tour championship after recording four wins, one pole, 157 laps led, eight top-five and nine top-10 finishes across 10 races.
Raphael Lessard’s No. 4 Mobil 1 | Canac Tundra:
KBM-062: The No. 4 Mobil 1 | Canac team will unload chassis number KBM-062, which has been raced five times. Most recently, Raphael Lessard piloted the chassis to an 18th-place finish earlier this season at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway. The Tundra’s best finish was sixth at World Wide Technology Raceway at Gateway in August.
KBM-62 Performance Profile
- Starts – 5
- Wins – 0
- Average Start – 14.6
- Average Finish – 20.8
- Laps Led – 0
KBM Notes of Interest:
- KBM drivers have collected five wins, five poles, 914 laps led, 11 top-five and 19 top-10 finishes resulting in an average finish of 9.7 across 28 starts at Phoenix Raceway.
- The organization’s five victories at the Arizona track have come with four different drivers: Kyle Busch won in 2011, Brian Scott in 2012, Erik Jones went back-to-back in 2013-2014 and Daniel Suarez claimed the top spot in 2016.
- KBM holds the NGROTS records for most career wins (80) and most wins in a single season (14 in 2014). In addition to collecting a series-record seven Owner’s Championships, the organization has produced two championship-winning drivers: Erik Jones (2015) and Christopher Bell (2017).
Kyle Busch Motorsports No. 4 Toyota Tundra 2020 NGROTS Box Score:
Date / Site / Driver / Start / Finish / Laps / Laps Led / Status / Driver Pts./Pos/
2/14 /Daytona /Raphaël Lessard /8 /20/ 105/106 /0 /Running /24/14th
2/21 /Las Vegas /Raphaël Lessard /8/30 /90/134 /0 /Crash /39/18th
5/26 /Charlotte /Raphaël Lessard /20 /15 /134/134 /2 /Running /61/15th
6/6 /Atlanta /Raphaël Lessard /19 /18 /136/136 /0 /Running /84/15th
6/13 /Homestead /Raphaël Lessard /14 /11 /134/134 /0 /Running /114/13th
6/27 /Pocono/Raphaël Lessard /14 /37 /5/60 /0 /Crash /119/15th
7/11/Kentucky/Raphaël Lessard /13 /13 /71/71 /0 /Running /143/15th
7/18/Texas/Raphaël Lessard /16 /12 /166/167 /0 /Running /168/15th
7/24/Kansas 1/Raphaël Lessard /12/16 /134/134 /0 /Running /168/15th
7/25/Kansas 2/Raphaël Lessard /16 /11/134/134 /0 /Running /217/15th
8/7/Michigan /Raphaël Lessard /11 / 7 /107/107 / 4 /Running /247/14th
8/16/Daytona RC /Raphaël Lessard /10 /3 /46/46 / 3 /Running /185/13th
8/21/Dover /Raphaël Lessard /5 /19 /198/200 /0/Running /305/14th
8/30/WWT Raceway /Raphaël Lessard /19/6/160/160 /0/Running /338/13th
9/6/Darlington /Raphaël Lessard /6/6/152/152 /0/Running /377/12th
9/10/Richmond /Raphaël Lessard /7/26/245/250/0/Running /388/12th
9/17/Bristol /Raphaël Lessard /19/18/199/200/0/Running /407/12th
9/25/Las Vegas /Raphaël Lessard /15/20/133/134/0/Running /424/13th
10/3/Talladega /Raphaël Lessard /15/1/94/94/1/Running /464/12th
10/17/Kansas 3 /Raphaël Lessard /10/33/39/139/0/Crash /489/12th
10/25/Texas 2 /Raphaël Lessard /20/4/152/152/0/Running /502/12th
10/30/Martinsville/Raphaël Lessard /10/20/199/200/10/Running /528/12th
11/6/Phoenix /Raphaël Lessard
**Press Release prepared by Kyle Busch Motorsports
Photo Credit: Nigel Kinrade Photography
KBM prepares a fleet of race-winning Tundras out of a state-of-the-art 77,000-square-foot facility in Mooresville (N.C.) Fans can keep up-to-date with all the latest KBM news online at KyleBuschMotorsports.com, by liking the team on Facebook (KBMteam) and by following the team on Instagram (KBMteam) and Twitter (@KBMteam).